To learn more about folk costumes be sure to visit Folklore Village.
A wide variety of books and articles have been written about folk costumes. Just a few are listed below.
- Christensen, Peg Eileen. 1999. “Jane Farwell: Adult Educator and Social Recreation Leadership Trainer.” Dissertation. The University of Wisconsin–Madison.
- Colburn, Carol. 1995. “Norwegian Folk Dress in America” in Norwegian Folk Art: The Migration of a Tradition. New York: Abbeville in association with the Museum of American Folk Art, New York, and the Norwegian Folk Museum, Oslo.
- Gottier, Karin P. 1999. “German and Swiss Dances with Karin Gottier.” Delivered at the Miami Valley Folk Dancers workshop, Oct. 9–10.
- Hertz, Carrie (ed.). 2021. Dressing with Purpose: Belonging and Resistance in Scandinavia. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Shukla, Pravina. 2015. Costume: Performing Identities through Dress. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Snowden, James. 1979. The Folk Dress of Europe. New York: Mayflower Books.
- Welters, Linda. 1999. Folk Dress in Europe and Anatolia: Beliefs about Protection and Fertility. Oxford: Berg.